Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
The Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management (BSHM) at the Naveen Jindal School of Management is a 120 semester credit hours degree program that provides students a broad–based education in healthcare management. Become part of the next generation of leadership by entering the program which will prepare you by combining the strength of seasoned academic researchers and experienced practitioners in the field.
Healthcare management classes include a variety of disciplines that are relevant to business in healthcare such as marketing, supply side management, information technology, organizational behavior, management methods in decision-making, operations management, international business and strategic planning. Students will also select from elective healthcare-specific classes including human resources, hospital administration and classes that respond to a changing and dynamic healthcare environment.
Students are required to complete an internship prior to graduation. Fortunately, JSOM is located in a great metro area with 135 hospitals in Dallas-Fort Worth alone! and the Career Management Center (CMC) can help you to land a great internship. In addition, our active student Healthcare Management Association creates opportunities for networking and introductions to healthcare leaders throughout the region. Prominent DFW healthcare professionals regularly visit campus to share their industry experience and seek talent students.
the high-achieving undergrads are eligible to take masters-level courses in Healthcare Management through the Fast-Track program and earn both BS and MS degrees in as little as five years.
- Connect with the Director
- Degree Plan
- Careers & Internships
- More Information
What if you could do work that truly matters?
The healthcare industry is over $3 trillion and represents almost 20% of the Gross Domestic Product. Today’s healthcare leaders will need a distinct educational preparation for the challenges of the future. The Jindal School of Management provides the nationally recognized leadership and education for tomorrow’s healthcare leaders. Our faculty includes dedicated healthcare researchers and experienced professional practitioners. The combination provides our students with a unique educational experience that prepares them for a career in hospitals, clinics, revenue cycle, supply management or other healthcare professions.
In addition, the strength of the other programs at JSOM such as information technology management or accounting would enhance students’ opportunities to integrate sophisticated business practices into tomorrow’s healthcare industry.
Please contact me for more information regarding the program or the careers in healthcare management.
The BS-HMGT students will be prepared to recognize the needs of healthcare organizations (including hospitals, medical and dental practices, insurance companies, consulting firms, and other healthcare related industries) and how to serve these organizations by providing the foundations for excellent client care and services through outstanding management practices and leadership. The program places emphasis on five important elements of Health Care Management:
- Human Resources
- Information Systems
- Law and Regulatory
PART I: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The establishment of the Bachelor of Science degree in Healthcare Management on January 1, 2015 provides the resources and structure to respond to the most dynamic and growing industry of our economy. Currently healthcare spending exceeds 18% of the GDP and represents almost $3 trillion of the economy. It is estimated that seven of the top ten fastest growing professions will be in healthcare.
In the development of the Healthcare Management degree program, the focus has been to
- Define and establish the five core classes
- Recruit Students into program
- Establish relationships with alumni
- Establish relationships with industry
Core Curriculum: The Five Core Courses have bee determined and refined in response to alumni, industry and faculty input. It is anticipated that all courses will be fully staffed through current faculty and adjunct by Spring 2016. These include
Please look at our list of local DFW hospital internship and volunteer opportunities.Download Intern/Volunteer Hospitals
- Facebook – Follow the Healthcare Management Program on Facebook for news and program updates!
- Twitter – Follow and tweet our Program Director, Dr. Berrett!
- AMME (Alliance for Medical Management Education)
- ACHE – The American College of Healthcare Executives is the premier organization of Healthcare professionals in the country. Student members receive a greatly discounted membership rate, and have access to the outstanding educational and networking events offered by ACHE.
- Student Organization: Healthcare Management Association – This is the organization to be involved in for any student with an interest in Healthcare. They provide educational events, networking opportunities, and also keep students in the loop with potential jobs and internships.
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management – The MS in Healthcare Management is an excellent option for students who are interested in expanding their Healthcare knowledge and taking their career to the next level.