Phi Beta Lambda Members Triumphant Many Times Over at Texas Competition
Phi Beta Lambda winners. Back row (left to right): Yousuf Hassan, Siddarth Vyas, adviser Dr. Vance Johnson Lewis, Sumanth Nelluru, Sridhar Karr.
Front row: Saad Khan, Sehrish Rizvi, Robert Kim, Mindy Tiu, Alica Cobb, Phuong Nguyen, Shaheena Ramzan
The UT Dallas chapter of Phi Beta Lambda, a student organization based in the Jindal School, triumphed many times over in contests held at a recent annual state conference held at Stephen F. Austin University in Nacogdoches.
In all, 21 students earned 29 awards. The April 12-13 events tested subject knowledge in 26 categories. UT Dallas students earned 19 first-place awards, seven second-place awards and three third-place awards.
“The students simply performed great,” Dr. Vance Johnson Lewis, chapter adviser and director of JSOM’s undergraduate program in business administration, said. “They were prepared and invested in their activities and really shined as professionals. I could not have been more proud.”
“It was an absolutely amazing experience that I would recommend to everyone,” PBL chapter president Sehrish Rizvi, a senior majoring in finance, said. “I learned so much and made many great memories with my fellow members.”
The collegiate division of the Future Business Leaders of America, Phi Beta Lambda focuses on preparing students for careers in business and business-related fields. On the college level, more than 11,000 students participate in the organization, which works to improve student’s levels of leadership, scholarship and citizenship.
The state competition allowed students to compete in both online and on-campus events. Those who placed first or second in each category qualified to compete at the annual FBLA-PBL conference, scheduled for June in Anaheim, California.
UT Dallas Phi Beta Lambda Competition Winners
- Accounting Principles — 2nd place, Phuong Nguyen
- Business Decision Making (team event) — 1st place, Sumanth Nelluru, Siddarth Vyas and Yousuf Hassan
- Business Law — 1st place, Amin Pirani; 2nd place, Janani Jambukesan; 3rd place, Siddarth Vyas
- Business Presentation — 2nd place, Saad Khan and Abenezer Daniel
- Digital Video Production — 1st place, Saad Khan and Abenezer Daniel
- Economic Analysis and Decision Making — 1st place, Phuong Nguyen
- Financial Concepts — 1st place, Sehrish Rizvi
- Financial Services — 1st place, Sehrish Rizvi
- Future Business Educator — 1st place, Shaheena Ramzan
- Future Business Executive — 2nd place, Harshy Guduru
- Help Desk — 1st place, Alicia Cobb
- Hospitality Management — 1st place Yousuf Hassan
- Impromptu Speaking — 1st place, Sridhar Karr; 3rd place, Harshy Guduru
- International Business — 1st place, Shaheena Ramzan
- Job Interview — 1st place, Alicia Cobb; 2nd place, Robert Kim
- Macroeconomics — 1st place, Amin Pirani
- Marketing Concepts — 2nd place, Christina Steubsen; 3rd place, Asha Andrews
- Public Speaking — 1st place, Sridhar Karr; 2nd place, Sumanth Nelluru
- Retail Management — 1st place, Kenneth Yau
- Small-Business Management Plan — 1st place, Mindy Tiu
- Sports Management and Marketing — 1st place, Stephanie Lu
- Statistical Analysis — 1st place, Gus Chihaba
- Telecommunications — 1st place, Gus Chihaba