PhD Admission Requirements
The PhD in International Management Studies program and PhD in Management Science program each admit 3-5 new students per year per concentration (fall admission only). Both are designed to be full-time programs with completion being 4 to 5 years.
Students may enter after previous graduate training or directly from undergraduate programs. Admission is based on grade-point average, GMAT or GRE scores, letters of reference, business and professional experience (if applicable), a written statement of personal objectives, and compatibility with faculty research activities. Although both GMAT and GRE scores are accepted, the GMAT is strongly preferred.
The priority deadline for applicants is January 15th. While applications will be accepted after that date, applying after January 15th may significantly lower your chance of acceptance. We offer financial aid (tuition & fees plus a monthly stipend or scholarship) to admitted PhD students. All applicants are considered for financial aid.
Required application materials are:
- Complete graduate application and application fee. Apply online at the UT Dallas Graduate Application Website
- All undergraduate and graduate transcripts should be uploaded and submitted electronically. DO NOT mail official/paper copies of your documents. Unofficial transcripts are sufficient for releasing an admissions decision. Admitted students must provide official documents prior to enrollment.
- GMAT or GRE scores. Students must have an excellent academic record and high scores on the GMAT or GRE. To be considered for admission, students must score 600 on the GMAT or above or receive comparable scores on the GRE. The mean GMAT score for admitted students in the Jindal School of Management PhD programs is 715 (93rd percentile). The institution code to report GMAT scores is ZTZPQ60 and for GRE scores is R6897. Scores must be no older than 5 years, are not waived for any applicants, and must be submitted at the time of application.
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or résumé. If you do not have professional work experience, still include a CV or résumé which will give us an overview of your academic background and accomplishments.
- A statement of purpose that should answer two fundamental questions:
- Why do you want to pursue a PhD in your chosen concentration?
- What are your career goals after you obtain your PhD?
- Three letters of recommendation with at least two being from academic referees (see note below).**
- For international students an English proficiency score is required (TOEFL, PTE or IELTS) unless you meet one of two waivers.
- International applicants who have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree from a college or university in the United States may be waived from submitting the English proficiency score. Please contact the PhD program for more information.
- International applicants who are from a country whose official governmental language is English AND whose education has been entirely in English. Please see the list of countries whose citizens meet the waiver criteria for English proficiency.
For technical assistance with the graduate application, please contact the Office of Admissions.
Application or admissions questions? E-mail: email@example.com
All materials are to be uploaded as PDF files only (no Word docs or JPEGs) in the application system for review, including curriculum vitae/résumés (upload to the Department and Employment Information page in the graduate application), statements of purpose (upload after the Payment Processing page at the end of the Student Agreements page in the graduate application), and transcripts (upload to the Academic Background page with the Choose File button to attach your transcripts for each school that you enter).
**All recommendation letters are to be done electronically. On the application homepage, the middle section is Request Letters of Recommendation. Select Create Invitation and enter in your recommender name, email address, etc and he/she will get an email from UTD saying you requested a letter and they will click the link and either upload a letter or copy/paste it in. It is very simple and easy to follow and does not require the recommender to create an account.