Degree Plans

You can find your program curriculum outlined in detail in the Catalog. The academic program areas can provide additional updates within the JSOM website – just follow the quick links above for Undergraduate, Masters, or MBA. At the Advising Office we will provide you with a degree plan worksheet to aide you in keeping track of the courses you are completing and to use as a roadmap for the upcoming semesters.

  • Undergraduate Students
  • Graduate Students

Undergraduate Students

You will set up your degree plan during your Freshman/Transfer Orientation or during your first advising meeting. We will keep an official copy in your file and will provide you with a copy for your records. This will be your primary tool as you plan current and future registrations.

AP Scores

All testing scores must be sent officially from the College Board system. We are unable to use test scores from transcripts. The AP Credit Equivalency Chart is found on the Credit by Exam page.

UTD GPA requirements

A minimum GPA of 2.00 on a 4.00 scale (C average) is required in the major and related courses, in any declared minor, and overall. Major preparatory classes are not included in the calculation of the major GPA. Only grades earned at UT-Dallas are used in calculating this GPA. Additional information regarding GPA and academic good standing is out lined in the Undergraduate Catalog.

Transferable Credits

Please remember that for courses taken off campus:

  • “C” or Better Required – students are required to receive a grade of “C” or better for the course to transfer to UT Dallas
  • Lower Level Courses Only – When taking courses at the community college, only lower level courses can be completed, for example HIST 1301 or MATH 1325. Upper-division (3000/4000 level) courses cannot be done at the community college level.
  • Grades Do Not Transfer – Grades earned in transferred courses will not impact the UT Dallas GPA
  • Submit Official Transcript – Once you complete the course, you must submit an updated official transcript to our office or the Office of the Registrar. (It may be possible for transcript to be sent electronically.)
  • No Off Campus Courses During Graduating Semester – No coursework may be taken off campus in a student’s final graduating semester.

JSOM Policy on Undergraduate Change of Majors

All students wishing to change majors to JSOM after enrollment should carefully consider the consequences of excessive hours and time to degree completion. All students considering major changes are advised to complete career counseling assessment at either the Jindal Career Management Center or University Career Center.

Change of Major Application Minimum requirements:

  • All of the following:
    • 24 or more UT Dallas credit hours; AND
    • Who have completed MATH 1325 at UT Dallas with at minimum grade of C- or better (or transferred MATH 1325 with a C or better); AND
    • Have a GPA of 2.5 or better;
  • OR Meet JSOM freshman admission standards and in good standing. Admission standards are found at the bottom of this page

Applications submitted up to 3 weeks before the end of the semester will be processed within the semester. Late applications will be processed after semester grades are posted.

Graduate Students

Important Highlights

The following are applicable to graduate students:

  • Your core and overall GPA must be at least a 3.00
  • All courses for a degree must be completed within 72 months.
  • You can choose the number of credit hours you take each semester. Usually, a student who has a full-time job takes 6 credit hours a semester. (If you have Financial Aid or are on an F1 or J1 Visa, you may have specific semester credit hour requirements.)
  • The order you take your courses is not predetermined, but you will receive guidance on recommended course order at your JSOM Graduate Orientation.

Transfers and Waivers

Transfers and waivers may be granted for coursework previously completed. We have put together some preliminary questions to help you determine if your course meets the preliminary requirements for a transfer or waiver.

Transfer Waiver

The complete rules are outlined in the forms below. Please review them completely before submitting the forms:

Waivers of Core Courses

Waivers of program core requirements may be granted in recognition of previous coursework completed with a grade of B or better within the past six years in a specific business program area. This allows a student to skip a core course in their degree plan and take a higher-level course in the same academic area meeting the core requirement with no reduction in the program credit-hour requirements. Up to 9 hours of coursework from other universities may be waived from any Master of Science Program’s core courses in the School of Management. Up to 12 hours of coursework from other universities may be used to waive core courses in the Professional MBA degree program.

Transfer of Graduate Semester Credit Hours

Transfer credits may be granted for equivalent graduate coursework taken at other universities with a grade of B or better within the past six years. Up to 9 semester credit hours of coursework from other universities may be transferred into any Master of Science in the School of Management. Up to 12 semester credit hours of coursework from other universities may be used to transfer credit to the Professional MBA degree program. The Full-Time MBA program and Professional Evening Cohort MBA program only allows 6 elective semester credit hours to be transferred into its program.