Bachelor of Science in Finance
The Bachelor of Science in Finance degree offers students practical and theoretical training in financial decision making. Students will learn the quantitative skills required to analyze financial information, the foundation needed for making corporate financial decisions and the problem-solving skills necessary for prudent investment management. Download BS Finance brochure.
Graduates seek careers as financial analysts or consultants with corporations, financial institutions or government agencies. The fast-track program allows undergraduate students to start work on the master’s degree in finance during their senior year, shaving a year off total in-school time. A double major is also offered in conjunction with the Economics program to students interested in pursuing a more analytical career.
Students who complete this degree will:
- Develop functional knowledge of their major specialty, an appreciation of the interrelation of the functional areas of business and broad-based current business knowledge
- Develop competency in oral, written and interpersonal communications
- Develop skills in analyzing and interpreting numerical data and in reasoning and problem-solving through mathematical processes
- Gain proficiency in the use of spreadsheet, database and other applications of technology
- Develop a regard for human values and the ability to make judgments based on ethical and environmental considerations
- Recognize the multicultural aspects and international dimensions of the societies and world in which we live and be familiar with knowledge and methods necessary to deal with related problems
- Develop an understanding of financial markets, financial institutions and their regulation
- Develop an understanding of investment management
- Develop an understanding of the financial decisions faced by companies and how they should be resolved
The Bachelor of Science in Finance degree allows students to prepare to take either the Chartered Financial Analyst Level I exam or all of the Certified Financial Planner exams. These certification programs have become important to those seeking careers in either investment management or personal financial planning.
We are glad that you are interested in studying finance. Finance is a fun, challenging and exciting science with unlimited career opportunities. A finance degree from UT Dallas will give you the opportunity to work in the field of investments, corporate finance, private equity, investment banking, financial information management, real estate, or personal financial planning.
Our program was recently ranked in the top 30 out of 120 universities surveyed in the Bloomberg Business week’s annual survey. We offer a breadth of learning opportunities both inside and outside the classroom. In addition to our rigorous finance classes, students can participate in our Financial Leadership Association or the Student Fund, a UT Dallas Domestic Fund for undergraduates. We are also active in the CFA Institute Research Challenge where students have the opportunity to apply the knowledge gained in the classroom by participating in both local and national case competitions. These resources give students the skills to evaluate strategic decisions in rapidly evolving markets.
UT Dallas Finance students are coached individually by faculty members through our Finance Business Coaches program. This program aligns students with faculty members who share commoninterests. Coachesprovide advice and fresh perspectives tostudentsregarding career choices, academics, research goals and opportunities, and life in general.
The facilities at UT Dallas are second to none. At UT Dallas, students can take advantage of a fully staffed finance lab with Bloomberg terminals, Capital IQ machines and Morningstar. Training and opportunities for certification in these areas are available.
Please contact us for more information about the Bachelor of Science in Finance program at UT Dallas. We look forward starting you off on the right path in a career in finance!
Pickens Jared, MS